March 5, 2012

The half marathon that wasn’t

I had a half marathon on Sunday. I woke up at 4:30 a.m., got ready and left the house with my dog and boyfriend.

A bit concerning: the wind and rain and the possibility of lightning (thunderstorms were forecasted).

We drove to the race site (about a 20-minute drive). I was hoping the rain and wind would stop by the time we got there. It did not.

I sat in the car, watching people struggle even walking in the strong winds and dodging rain. It did not look fun. At all.

I kept watching. I debated whether or not this would be enjoyable. I decided it wouldn’t be. So, we drove home. But, not before stopping once or twice for me to think about it some more.

Many other runners dealt with the conditions. And, it even stopped raining early in the race (so I hear). The winds continued, but people said it was still a really enjoyable race.

I’m regretting not running the race now. I don’t have the sweet medal in my hands, and I should (but I’m a wimp).

I got the sweet shirt, but I’m going to feel like a fraud wearing it. 

5 comments:

  1. Awww, I'm sorry girl. That's never an easy decision to make. Those were tough conditions and sometimes you feel up to it and sometimes you don't. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! I actually thought about you as I was trying to decide whether to run. Since you are hardcore and ran through a snowstorm, I thought I should be able to deal with a little wind and rain. You are just tougher than me. :c)

      Delete
  2. Oh no. Well you can just keep it on your list for next year. And wear the shirt. Who cares, you paid for it, might as well enjoy it.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do this next year (as long as there is no lightning)! I love the shirt, so I want to wear it ... I just don't want to have to explain what a wimp I am.

      Delete
  3. I understand your decision, however...I thought you may want to read an inspiring story about the race from another blogger.

    http://mealsandmiles.com/2012/03/05/sisterly-love/

    xoxo from Trinidad

    p.s. - so...when is your next one?

    ReplyDelete

Comments rock!