August 2, 2011

My (short) running history

I made attempts at running my freshmen year of college. My roommate and I would go out most nights and just try to run farther than we did the night before. And, we actually had some success. In the Kansas winter. In our nylon pants that made the swish-swish-swish sound as we ran (why I thought those things rocked as much as I thought they did, I'm not sure). I'm also not sure why we stopped. Probably studying. Yeah, that's it.


So, here I am now in my 30s trying to get serious about running again (or maybe really for the first time). I tried to follow the Couch to 5K plan, but I ended up modifying it. I ran intervals for what seemed like forever, and then, one night it all clicked; I ran two miles without stopping, and I was hooked.


I ran my first 5K race in February, and I added two more to my collection by May. I ran the entire race each time, and I had a faster time each race. After my third 5K, I wanted a bigger challenge. So, I began looking for a 10K (what seemed like the next logical step). Problem: finding a 10K in Florida in the summer is difficult.


A friend (who is a running coach, motivator and person who believes in me when I don't) mentioned she wanted to do the Women's Half Marathon in November. I was adamant that I wasn't going to run that far. I couldn't do it. I just started running. She disagreed, but didn't push. Funny thing: I eventually came around. And, I can add to my short running history.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments rock!