August 10, 2011

Day 1

Yesterday was the first training day with my group. I was nervous (as usual) because I always assume that I will be the worst runner. Turns out (as usual), I wasn’t.
After introducing ourselves, we set out with our coach and an assistant coach. It rained all day, but stopped for us to run (but stayed overcast, thank goodness). The plan: run 40 minutes. As we started off, a group took off … fast. I was not in this group. I kept my slow, but steady pace (and didn’t let it bother me that I was the last in line of 15 women — we were short about 15 because of the weather). Not too long into the run, girls in the fast group started stopping to walk. I kept running (slowly) by them. I didn’t wear my Garmin watch, which I love-love-love, because I was afraid it would get ruined in the rain (it ended up not raining). So, I really have no idea how far I ran or at what pace (besides slow).
And, I’m not even really sure how many minutes I ran. I didn’t make it the full 40 minutes. I walked for maybe 5 minutes after running about 30 minutes, and then ran the final 5 minutes (I think). I’d like to have made it the full 40 minutes, but I just didn’t. And, I’m OK with that … I guess. I’m trying to tell myself that anyway. I’m actually kind of disappointed.
So, we meet again on Thursday with the same plan: run 40 minutes. I’m nervous (as usual), but this time about the sun and heat. I’m a night runner, so dealing with the blazing Florida sun at 6:30 p.m. is really unappealing to me. I think I need to bring a water bottle with me, but this makes me nervous (surprise). I’m worried carrying something will affect my running abilities (however pathetic they may be). But, I guess that’s better than death by heat. I thought about a water belt, but two girls in the group that wore them last night said they were really irritating and kept bouncing up and down.
My goal on Thursday: run the full 40 minutes. I’m worried that I won’t be able to do it if it is sunny and hot, but that’s the goal. I’ll try to give myself a break if it is hot, but I’m really hard on myself.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments rock!