August 3, 2011

Eek! A training group

I enjoy running, but I enjoy running in my comfort zone. I know I can run three miles at a pretty darn slow pace. I’m comfortable with this. So, when I started looking at a half marathon training program, I knew I was in trouble. Pesky program involves running hard and long!
So, I started looking at a training group. Probably the only thing that freaks me out more running-wise than running hard for a long distance is running with other people. I assume I’m always going to be the slowest and worst runner. Then, once I run with other people and realize this isn’t the case, I love it.
After freaking out on many instances (and after getting reassurance from the coach that I wasn’t the only one that felt this way), I went to the informational meeting last night. I met many other women with the same worries as me. Upon learning that, I joined. The coach is extremely optimistic that we can all run a half marathon by November. I’m glad someone is optimistic.
It starts next week and runs 15 weeks. We’ll meet Tuesday and Thursday nights at 6:30 p.m. for training runs. We’ll meet at 7:30 a.m. (UGH) on Sundays for the long runs. I’ll probably freak out again before our first run, and then things will be fine. And, I’ll be running a half marathon in a few months … or so says that optimistic coach.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments rock!