August 15, 2011

Goo review

I vowed to never have another PowerBar product after my first experience.
Many years ago to promote their brand, PowerBar gave away bars at a football game. We didn’t eat them right away; my brother and I saved our PowerBars for a day when we wanted super powers. When we decided we were ready to blaze around our neighborhood at lightning speed on our bikes, we ate them. And, they were nasty. They tasted like sawdust and glue (and the consistency was the same). After gagging them down, we really didn’t even have the super powers we expected. After that experience, I swore I would never eat another PowerBar product. I’ll show you, PowerBar!
Now, almost 20 years later, I broke that rule. I tried their energy gel or goo (as I think they’re more popularly known). And, their goo isn’t nearly as nasty as those first PowerBars. But, I didn’t love it either. Although this is my first goo experience, so they all could be kind of icky … I’m not sure.
I tried the strawberry banana flavor, and it did taste like strawberry banana. I think the texture is more of the issue. Runny, sticky, clear gel, kind of like snot (I realize this is extremely disgusting, but it’s the best descriptor).
As for its effect, I’m not sure. I felt pretty good at the beginning of my run. Then, about 2.5 miles in, I starting feeling a little nauseous. I’m not sure if it was the goo’s fault. I didn’t have much in my stomach, which could have been the problem.
I have five other goos to try, so I’ll give them another shot ... even that pesky PowerBar brand.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments rock!