August 27, 2012

This week in running: week 2


I just completed my second week of half marathon training, and I’m feeling OK about it. I’m not completely happy with how things are going right now, but I do know that they’ll eventually come together.

Tuesday

Due to really, really scary lightning, I didn’t attend training group. If there is one thing I’m really scared of, it’s lightning. I hate that stuff. So, I made the call not to go.

I guess a few people still showed up and they were finally able to run around the block twice (in the rain) and learn some stretches. I’m not sad I missed that. Instead, I hit up the craptastic gym for a treadmill run.

I ran for 45 minutes because I guessed that’s what we would have done at training group. As usual, it was super hot. I thought it was hot running outside at 6:30 p.m. (and it is), but I think it is worse in the gym (aside from no big, scary sun … yes, I’m scared of the sun, too).
 

Distance: 3.75 miles


Thursday

This was a fabulous running day. It was just one of those days where running felt right. I love these days!

Our group ran for 55 minutes, and it all rocked. It’s still ridiculously hot, so my “speed” is not spectacular, but is it ever? Seriously, I know I can run faster, and I know I will … eventually.

Distance: 4.4 miles

Sunday

I was not happy that our coaches decided to meet at 7 a.m. instead of 7:30 a.m. Thirty minutes is an extremely huge difference on an early weekend morning to a non-morning person. I whined and pleaded (yes, really) to change it back to 7:30 a.m. to no avail. So, I showed up at 7 a.m., not a minute earlier.

This was our first distance run. Our goal: run 5 miles.

Not too long into the run, I knew things weren’t going well. I just didn’t feel like I had the energy to run. My legs felt like lead, and each step took way too much effort.

I started taking short walk breaks before I even hit a mile. It was that bad. I kept thinking I’d feel better, but no luck. I run-walked this whole distance. I felt terrible.

To avoid a problem like last training cycle, I’m trying to be more careful with what I’m eating. I think I didn’t eat enough or eat enough of the right things. Gah! This running nutrition thing can be really complicated

Distance: 5 miles

How was your running week? Did you have a run that rocked? Did you run on the treadmill? Was it hot? Do you have running nutrition figured out? If so, please fill me in! 

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how you run on that treadmill but I am about to find out here in the winter. I had trouble on my long run this weekend too and think it was nutrition related.....or I am just whiny. Hard to tell sometimes with me.

    ReplyDelete

Comments rock!