January 15, 2013

Spinning, marketing, arting, stretching, walking ... and finally, running


I’m a sweater. I know this. I should have been prepared for the level of sweat. I wasn’t.

I had a towel. I could have used another towel. So. Much. Sweat.

What produces this level of sweat? Spin.

On Saturday, I participated in my first spin class to benefit Pet Pal Animal Shelter.

Because it was an early weekend morning, it took me awhile to wake up and get oriented. But, about 20 minutes into the class, I finally figured out what was going on and started to really enjoy it. I loved climbing hills (huh?) and making turns. Aside from the sweat situation, I loved it all.


What I loved most is that it benefited sweet animals like this girl.

Sandy made an appearance at the spin-a-thon

After the class (which consisted of a lot of my running group since a running group friend was teaching the class), we headed to the market across the street ... and into heaven.


I love tomatoes, seriously.
I love guacamole, too, but I just had a sample ... and wanted to
take home the entire bowl.

Later that evening, I headed to an art show with a fabulous Tampa Bay artist's work in it. That fabulous local artist happens to be my coworker and friend who is extremely talented.

Me, not the creator, with her amazing artwork
The artist with another piece of work, Schlitz (only a dolla dolla bill, ya'll)

After a fun day and night, I headed to bed to start it all over again with a long run on Sunday morning. Problem: I woke up on Sunday to excruciating back pain. I couldn't stand straight. It hurt to take a step. Gah.

So instead of running, I spent the day stretching, applying heat and walking.

... and spotting dolphins
... and drinking delicious Dunkin' Donuts coconut
coffee in the dog park

I thought maybe I could run Sunday night, but I still wasn't comfortable. Better, but not great.

On Monday, the back was much better. Still sore, but not nearly as bad. So, I ran Monday night. The first mile was awful. It was so painful that I wanted to quit, but I told myself, "Self, run at least one mile and then reevaluate."

I ran 4 miles. Pretty decent miles for me running by myself (I hate running by myself). I felt awesome after (less back pain than before I ran).

Tonight, I ran 3 more miles. A little pain when I started, but it all worked out by the end. Whew! The half marathon on Sunday is still a go ...  

Ever have random back pain? What did you do? Did you run with it? Do you love tomatoes? Guacamole? Ever do a spin class? What did you think?

2 comments:

  1. boooo to your back pain! i hope it goes away quickly!

    and GOOD LUCK to your half this weekend!!! can't wait to hear how you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you got to sweat for a good cause :)Sorry to hear about your back pain, I hope it goes away soon. Best of luck with your half this weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Comments rock!